Dr. Dean Lockwood
Dean is interested in nonhuman and associated turns in twenty-first century thought insofar as they indicate a media studies which begins with the world as mediation. His research currently addresses the critical and insurgent potential of fabulation – especially in the imaginative impulse of horror and ‘dark media’ – in speculative theory, fiction and theory-fiction hybrids. He has published on horror, digital culture and media ecologies and aesthetics.
- HYPERSTITION (2026, dir. Christopher Roth, in collaboration with Armen Avanessian) 100 minutes. A film on time and narrative. Of thoughts and images. On plants and …Read Full Post
- A very big thankyou to everyone who participated in the EMoTICON Projects Network-funded Symposium on ‘Cybernetic Subjectivities and the Mediation of Trust and Empathy’ on …Read Full Post
Selected Recent Publications
- Dave Boothroyd & Sarah Lewis (2016) ‘Online Drug Scenes and Harm Reduction from Below as Phronesis’, Contemporary Drug Problems, 43: 293-307.
- Rob Coley and Dean Lockwood (2016) Photography in the Middle: Dispatches on Media Ecologies and Aesthetics. Brooklyn: Punctum Books.
- Paolo Ruffino (2016, forthcoming), Future Gaming: the many lives of video games, Goldsmiths Press: London.
- Thomas Sutherland (2016) ‘Time Without Temporalization: Futurality in François Laruelle’s Non-Philosophy’, Chiasma, Vol. 3: Art2
- Rob Coley and Dean Lockwood (eds) (2015) Culture Machine Vol.16 ‘Drone Culture’.
- Alberto Micali (2015) ‘Notes for an Ecological Archaeology of Imaginary Media Hacking’. Journal of Contemporary Archaeology, 2 (1), S15-22
- Dave Boothroyd (2013) Ethical Subjects in Contemporary Culture, Edinburgh University Press
- Marie Thompson & Ian Biddle (2013) Sound, music, affect: theorizing sonic experience, Bloomsbury: London.
- Rob Coley and Dean Lockwood (2012) Cloud Time: The Inception of the Future, Winchester and Washington: Zer0 Books
- Martyn Thayne (2012) On Participation: A Critical New Media Analysis, Lambert Academic Publishing
- Martyn Thayne (2012) ‘Friends Like Mine: The Production of Socialised Subjectivity in the Attention Economy’, Culture Machine, 13.
Recent Talks, Papers & Presentations
- Dave Boothroyd (2016) ‘ Mediation, Individuation and Encounter in Digital Milieus’, NECS Annual Conference, Potsdam.
- Marie Thompson (2016) ‘The Noise of Connectivity, NECS Annual Conference, Potsdam.
- Dave Boothroyd & Sarah Lewis (2015) ‘Whose Data or Who’s Data’, European Society for Social Drug Use, Annual Conference, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Dave Boothroyd & Sarah Lewis (2015) ‘The Mediation of Drug Culture’ Contemporary Drug Problems Conference, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Dave Boothroyd (2015) ‘Digital Extimacy and the Intimacy of the Common’, Cybernetic Regimes and Subjection workshop, Umea University, Sweden.
- Rob Coley (2015) ‘The Terminal City: Elemental Politics and Mediated Urbanism’ ,Political Agency in the Digital Age: Media, Participation and Democracy – ECREA Communication and Democracy Conference, 9-10 October, Copenhagen Business School.
- Martyn Thayne (2015) ‘Twitter Storms’ in a Teacup: Viral Activism and Collective Political Agencies. Political Agency in the Digital Age: Media, Participation and Democracy – ECREA Communication and Democracy Conference, 9-10 October, Copenhagen Business School.
- Dave Boothroyd (2014), ‘Rethinking Pharmacology in the Age of Narcotic Modernity’, Extra City Art Gallery, Antwerp, Belgium.
- Martyn Thayne (2014) ‘Object/Process: Towards an Ontological Leveling within Media Theory’, ‘Media and the Margins’ MeCCSA Conference, Bournemouth University.