Dr. Rob Coley
Rob’s current work is focused on how contemporary visual culture might express what Rosi Braidotti has called a ‘geo-centred turn’ in critical thinking. He is interested in how the aesthetic might be addressed in entangled and ecological terms, and particularly in how attempts to perceive or visualize the crises and traumas of the present remain necessarily material practices.
- HYPERSTITION (2026, dir. Christopher Roth, in collaboration with Armen Avanessian) 100 minutes. A film on time and narrative. Of thoughts and images. On plants and …Read Full Post
- A very big thankyou to everyone who participated in the EMoTICON Projects Network-funded Symposium on ‘Cybernetic Subjectivities and the Mediation of Trust and Empathy’ on …Read Full Post
Selected Recent Publications
- Dave Boothroyd & Sarah Lewis (2016) ‘Online Drug Scenes and Harm Reduction from Below as Phronesis’, Contemporary Drug Problems, 43: 293-307.
- Rob Coley and Dean Lockwood (2016) Photography in the Middle: Dispatches on Media Ecologies and Aesthetics. Brooklyn: Punctum Books.
- Paolo Ruffino (2016, forthcoming), Future Gaming: the many lives of video games, Goldsmiths Press: London.
- Thomas Sutherland (2016) ‘Time Without Temporalization: Futurality in François Laruelle’s Non-Philosophy’, Chiasma, Vol. 3: Art2
- Rob Coley and Dean Lockwood (eds) (2015) Culture Machine Vol.16 ‘Drone Culture’.
- Alberto Micali (2015) ‘Notes for an Ecological Archaeology of Imaginary Media Hacking’. Journal of Contemporary Archaeology, 2 (1), S15-22
- Dave Boothroyd (2013) Ethical Subjects in Contemporary Culture, Edinburgh University Press
- Marie Thompson & Ian Biddle (2013) Sound, music, affect: theorizing sonic experience, Bloomsbury: London.
- Rob Coley and Dean Lockwood (2012) Cloud Time: The Inception of the Future, Winchester and Washington: Zer0 Books
- Martyn Thayne (2012) On Participation: A Critical New Media Analysis, Lambert Academic Publishing
- Martyn Thayne (2012) ‘Friends Like Mine: The Production of Socialised Subjectivity in the Attention Economy’, Culture Machine, 13.
Recent Talks, Papers & Presentations
- Dave Boothroyd (2016) ‘ Mediation, Individuation and Encounter in Digital Milieus’, NECS Annual Conference, Potsdam.
- Marie Thompson (2016) ‘The Noise of Connectivity, NECS Annual Conference, Potsdam.
- Dave Boothroyd & Sarah Lewis (2015) ‘Whose Data or Who’s Data’, European Society for Social Drug Use, Annual Conference, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Dave Boothroyd & Sarah Lewis (2015) ‘The Mediation of Drug Culture’ Contemporary Drug Problems Conference, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Dave Boothroyd (2015) ‘Digital Extimacy and the Intimacy of the Common’, Cybernetic Regimes and Subjection workshop, Umea University, Sweden.
- Rob Coley (2015) ‘The Terminal City: Elemental Politics and Mediated Urbanism’ ,Political Agency in the Digital Age: Media, Participation and Democracy – ECREA Communication and Democracy Conference, 9-10 October, Copenhagen Business School.
- Martyn Thayne (2015) ‘Twitter Storms’ in a Teacup: Viral Activism and Collective Political Agencies. Political Agency in the Digital Age: Media, Participation and Democracy – ECREA Communication and Democracy Conference, 9-10 October, Copenhagen Business School.
- Dave Boothroyd (2014), ‘Rethinking Pharmacology in the Age of Narcotic Modernity’, Extra City Art Gallery, Antwerp, Belgium.
- Martyn Thayne (2014) ‘Object/Process: Towards an Ontological Leveling within Media Theory’, ‘Media and the Margins’ MeCCSA Conference, Bournemouth University.